We are thrilled to announce and celebrate a remarkable milestone – GearedApp is 10!
Over the past decade, we’ve embarked on an incredible journey filled with innovation and growth, delivering first-rate digital experiences that drive positive change globally, becoming one of the leading mobile and web development companies in Scotland. Our belief that the power of tech can do great things for humankind has been a driving force for GearedApp and has been at the core of how we operate over the years.
10 years spent leading our mission of people first solutions, 12 team members working hard and constantly learning and evolving and over 20 industries that we’ve delivered bespoke solutions for. It’s been an incredible time, and we are proud to be part of Scotland’s thriving tech community.
Today, we’re reflecting on our journey, as we delve into the history of GearedApp, share our biggest highlights and offer you a glimpse of the exciting future that lies ahead for GearedApp!
GearedApp: The Beginning
We’ve come a long way since our humble beginnings back in 2013, when students Lara, Josh, Andrzej Abdullah and Giorgios began working together during their Masters at Edinburgh Napier University. After successfully building their first app for Edinburgh Capitals Ice Hockey team, they recognised a need for Scotland-based mobile app developers, and decided to form a company that develops bespoke app and web solutions. And thus GearedApp was born!
Having spent the first three years of GearedApp establishing ourselves, it was time for our team to grow, so we added 3 new members to our team and we moved into a new space that we sublet from one of our very first clients, Ajenta. With our new team members’ skills, we were also in the position where we could increase our service offerings, building web apps and larger, more scalable platforms.
From there, we welcomed more developers to our team and started producing larger, more dynamic web apps, offering cutting edge, bespoke platforms to our clients.
Our Biggest Highlights
We are incredibly proud of everything we’ve achieved over the last 10 years. From startups to global giants, we’ve been lucky to work with companies across all sectors and sizes, as well as attend and be part of some pretty impressive events. Here’s just a few of our highlights from over the years:
- We were selected to join Civtech 7 Accelerator last year.
- Attending the Power of Youth Naked Entrepreneurs weekends, with the purpose of learning about leadership frameworks, self-development and how to make a better world through business.
- We were finalists in the Converge Challenge – Scotland’s largest company creation and enterprise programme for the university sector.
- We were invited to speak at Axway Conference in London.
- Our co-founder, Lara, was a key speaker at Bright Red Triangle (Napier) Awards.
- This year, our co-founder Josh was awarded the Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award by WeDo.
- We ran mobile masterclasses at Edinburgh Napier University
- We were named a top developer in the UK and a leader among other mobile app development companies in our field by Clutch.
- Supported our team to transition to working remotely and welcomed flexible working and a healthy work-life balance.
- Supported many interns and group projects to help younger developers gain insight and knowledge.
Not only that, but we’ve worked in partnership with a whole host of excellent clients over the last decade. Building great client relationships is what we pride ourselves on, and we’re proud to have maintained this over the years – shaping and building our clients’ vision together. Here are a few of our team’s favourite projects from over the years:
- Good Food Talks – an app that makes it easy for visually impaired diners to eat out at thousands of UK restaurants by providing accessible menus right on their website and their iPhone or Android app.
- Doddie Aid – a charity app for a fundraising event, allowing people to join districts and compete with friends to raise money to help tackle MND.
- Robotical – a company who are on a mission to raise the next generation of coders, developers and data scientists with their educational Robot, Marty.
- StampFree – an innovative startup utilising AI technology to disrupt how we send and return items, without the need for stamps or printed labels. They offer a Digicode for individuals and businesses to send items stamp-free.
- Equine Medical Solutions – whose mission is to promote equine welfare by supporting owners and vets in the management of skin diseases and cancer in horses.
- Raven Software – who work with major events and venues including the Ryder Cup, UEFA (Euro2020) and Cabinet Office (COP26). They digitise operations by providing an issue management and operations software solution.
- The Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust – one of the largest NHS trusts in the West Midlands, providing primary, acute and community services, priding themselves on both the diversity of their staff and the communities they serve.
You can find out more about our clients by clicking here.
Looking to the Future
As we celebrate a decade of GearedApp, we also eagerly look ahead to the future. This milestone has only been achievable with the support of the wonderful people we’ve had the pleasure of working with and who have supported us over the years.
We’re looking forward to even more exciting projects and collaborations coming up in the next 12 months – from property solutions to digital classrooms and academic book subscriptions, we’ve got plenty to keep us busy!
But above all, we are exciting to continue to deliver people first solutions for many years to come, underlined by our core values which lie at the heart of all our work and interactions:
- Being open, honest and clear, and doing the right thing.
- Caring about our teammates, our community and our clients. We believe in treating people how we would want to be treated, and by doing this, we will naturally deliver the best results.
- Staying curious and always learning and looking for ways to make things better.
If you’d like to find out more about how you can work with us in our tenth year, get in touch today and let us help turn your awesome ideas into a digital reality.